As diesel fuel prices carry on higher all fleet companies need to take paths to attain fuel savings. This indicates each year the transportation industry faces new perils during the wintertime months and this season isn’t any different. Currently the current weather forecasters are predicting not only one of many coldest, however the snowiest within the last few five (5) years. One of the challenges above and beyond the current weather, diesel fuel costs are on the rise again and most states and many municipalities have mandated idling restrictions.
Here are a few simple tips to help maintain your fleet companies equipment, mobile fueling, lower diesel fuel prices, fuel cards and bring more fuel savings.
1. Please be sure you have adequately treated with diesel fuel additives the bulk fleet fueling tanks for the temperatures you is going to be dealing with. Think with regards to where the coldest point your fleet companies trucks will run to and treat accordingly with a quality diesel fuel additives program.
2. Block heaters aren’t designed to warm an engine. They are created to maintain the heat already generated in the engine. Thus it is a must that the truck be plugged in while the engine is still warm. If your fleet companies truck keep these things, use them. This can make starting fuel saving by being able to start the truck easier.
3. Remind the drivers to UNPLUG the truck before starting it. 2 – 3 seconds of the engine running while the block heaters are plugged in is enough to burn up the block heaters. This will increase your fleet management cost if they do this and lower your fuel savings, communicate it clearly.
4. Don’t idle the trucks. You will do more to COOL the engine by idling a truck coming off the trail vs. shutting it off. (Engine temperature rises approx. 18 degrees if it is shut-off.) Conversely, good fleet management is starting a cool truck and letting it idle is futile fuel prices If you need to’warm’a truck that’s been sitting – get in it and drive it across the yard and’exercise’the truck once it’s reached maximum oil-pressure. This can warm the engine, transmission, differential and suspension. Not to mention prevent running the danger of potential fines for idling for both driver and the organization. Your diesel fuel prices is going to be lower by running your fleet companies trucks at maximum efficiency also increasing fuel savings. Fleet managers need to communicate with drivers about these kinds of fleet management operations.
5. Remember to drain air-tanks and fuel water separators. While the ambient air temperatures fall, the power for water to condense in fleet fueling tanks increases and could be carried in to the filter/heater unit. During periods of extreme cold this will be performed on a regular basis. The fleet fueling filters are the only protection the engine has against possible contaminants from your own fuel companies fuel. A more substantial micron fleet fueling filter should not be utilized to extend filter life or increase flow. It could void the warranty and could be damaging to the pump and/or the injectors. What may appear such as a fleet management solution today could cause your fleet companies operation much more later. Use properly treated diesel fuel additives and your fuel savings and fleet fueling filters is going to be fine.
6. Be certain air hoses are’hooked up’to each other or if equipped to the dummy glad-hands when the apparatus is not in use. That is one of many leading factors behind brakes freezing up. As fleet managers, within your fleet management directives this will take within your plan.
7. If moisture is within an air-line, use one cap full of brake line anti-freeze in the EMERGENCY (red) side ONLY. Never put it in the blue side or you might cause the brakes to lock up. Use only company supplied brake line anti-freeze as there are lots of products on the market that’ll cause harm to the internal brake system.
8. Be certain glad-hands attach’tight ‘. If they go on’loose’they will come off in a small turn and will cause unnecessary cycling of the air compressor. Make sure you have a good and snug fit.
These few tips can make the difference between go or no go situation, making that delivery commitment, or completing a run vs. a breakdown. Breakdowns during inclement weather are incredibly dangerous. There are lots of great techniques for proper fuel management in cold temperatures but best tip is to increase driver awareness and subsequently hold them accountable for action or inaction and hopefully fuel savings or at the least not increased costs in your diesel fuel prices.
As most of us soon prepare for a brand new year, it is time to review our fuel management, fleet management, fuel companies and fuel cards. We like to say take stock in all your program by reviewing your fleet management programs, fleet cards, diesel fuel additives, fuel management systems to ensure these fueling projects continue to be providing you with fuel savings. Each fleet companies operation should take a look at it’s projections on diesel fuel prices now for next years fleet fueling budget and take additional actions on it’s mobile fueling, fuel card, fleet management services to increase fuel savings. It looks like 2011, diesel fuel prices is going to be going higher so fuel management more than ever is going to be important. Sokolis Group is here now for you really to help decide in your fuel card, mobile fueling, fleet card and decrease your diesel fuel prices and increase fuel savings in 2011.