Common people mostly have fickle minds; they’re always guided by what they would like to believe, often with their advantage. When they’re worried, frightened and clueless about the long run they’re most at risk of doubt and conspiracy theories. The past half a year people all around the globe are very disturbed by the COVID 19 pandemic, not so much due to the deadly aftereffects of the virus compared to restrictions and lock-downs derailing normal life it has earned its wake. They desperately have to get back to the sweet normal times and live happily ever after, and therefore they jump to accept and believe fully when some motivated souls offer that’COVID 19 is a scam, it’s nothing more than a’annual influenza ‘. Thus the’doubt virus’is created and the social media as always helps it spread-at times faster compared to killer virus. Perhaps the basic impulses for skepticism stem from the facts that over 806 of Coronavirus positive cases are mild in nature and recover easily, only seniors with co-morbidity are most vulnerable and that normally the death rate is low at 1 to 4% except for a few countries. However, facts also reveal that the dead includes young people too and anyone can be infected using this most contagious virus.
The conspiracy theories originated in the United States, as always, where extraordinarily’democratic’parts of the citizens opposed the lockdown and restrictions from the beginning symbolizing these with the’agenda’of President Trump. Several conspiracy theories linking even the tragic murder of George Floyd started doing the rounds in the US which we will not make an outline here just to stop vulnerable minds undergo and inculcate doubts. We’d only like to mention here that writer got a cultural media forward giving a connect to articles by some’enlightened soul’who took pains of great arguments to’prove’that the pandemic is just a’political hoax ‘. As we mentioned earlier lots of vulnerable people got influenced by this, and none other when compared to a medical surgeon of the Indian state of Assam who even lodged a FIR alleging that merely a’annual influenza’has been called a pandemic and he wanted action against the concerned governments. This, naturally, created a chain of reactions in the state driving news channels asking the hapless common people about their’doubts’on the COVID 19 infections rather than destroying the dilemma.
Now, this’annual influenza’theory stops working at the essential premise itself: if that’s so then this phenomenon should be occurring annually, and why then in 2010 should really be so different! Governments need not have gone on an urgent situation drive to create more and more healthcare facilities including ICU beds just to tackle an annual event of flu. Then come the experiences of various affected countries and governments tackling this’annual influenza’some which we narrate below as arguments to break such kinds of fake and motivated views:
1. Let us take the exemplory case of the Chinese experiment. Ignoring lots of conspiracy theories about China itself we only ask here why would China need absolute authoritarian measures to tackle the virus (well, even annual influenza is the result of a virus) with regards to continuous lockdown and rigorous enforcement โควิด 19. After being successful in keeping the infected numbers below 100,000 the country is still fearing another outbreak, and risking its economic downswing again to stop its spread. Its aggression against India may also be explained as a part of its apparent desperation. An annual flu cannot explain these.
2. Why would countries like UK, Italy, Spain, France, USA and Brazil suffer so much from an annual influenza that killed more than half a million up to now and is still on its deadly prowls? Why would Italy reduce itself to a state of helplessness with dead bodies of Corona patients littered everywhere or why would a German finance minister commit suicide over Corona worries? How one would be to account for a death rate of over 14% (seen in a few countries) for an annual influenza virus?
3. Why would the doctors and experts of the World Health Organization keep on telling’lies’that the new Coronavirus is quite dangerous that would probably stay for more than 2 yrs and the worst is yet in the future despite whatever campaigns or actions going on or taken against it? We seemed to possess accepted at first that pandemic is the largest crisis ever faced by humankind. Now, why have second thoughts and doubts?
4. Why would countries across the planet keep on taking huge risks for an economic crash with unprecedented unemployment and pave just how for a recession possibly a whole lot worse compared to Great Depression? Particularly, why a developing country and a most promising upcoming world power like India should risk whatever it has achieved in development so far.
5. Exactly why is this kind of mad rush all around the globe to fast-track production of a vaccine against only an annual flu? At the very least such an intensive medical research cannot mask a hidden agenda whatever which could be.
In the last couple of days new cases in India have already been rising at nearly 25000 daily with the only solace that daily recoveries increasing steadily and the death rate is fortunately still low; the concern being a rising positivity rate indicating community transmission. As of this crucial juncture we should not pay heed to conspiracy theories and fake news. Such theories have obvious goals: to generate publicity for unknown persons or groups or to produce a kill with regards to profit. For example, if a link for articles with sensational and terrifying headlines gets circulated across social media and motivated media outlets consider the sort of clicks being generated which directly translate into money.